Editor is an extremely hard job, one that only a select few can do. If you are someone who wants to be a journalist, novelist, or author in the future, you should know a few things about editing. You are going to be doing it no matter what, so why not learn it?
The media and publishing industries are always changing, and the need for an editor is also changing at a fast pace. While it’s always been true that an editor is needed for a final product, there are a number of other roles that editors can take on today. There are many different jobs across the media and publishing industries, including copy editing, proofreading, fact checking, copywriting, proofreading, and more.
DollarBreak is backed by its readers and aims to be the definitive practical resource for making money online. If you sign up or make a purchase using the links in this post, we may be rewarded. Disclosure.
FlexJobs has an extensive database of vacancies for all sectors.
It’s extremely easy to sort through and find the jobs that suit you best.
FlexJobs guarantees that all its job offers are 100% fraud free.
Current salary data from 7.5 million daily posted vacancies.
There are no registration or other fees
Access to millions of jobs, even remotely.
You are selling a service at a price you set, not your time.
Fiverr allows you to remain anonymous
You can increase your sales on Fiverr by offering additional sales to your customers.
Cambridge Proofreading & Editing was founded in Cambridge, England, but is now headquartered in Chicago. The company has a network of more than 300 editors working for 54,000 clients worldwide.
As an editor in Cambridge, you will edit documents in your field and area of interest. You can concentrate on processing, while Cambridge takes care of logistics and customer service.
Other benefits include:
- Work from everywhere
- Keep control of your schedule by working the hours you choose.
- Receive personal feedback to improve your skills
To join the platform, you must be a native English speaker and hold an undergraduate degree from a reputable English-speaking university. You can expect to earn an average of $20 to $30 per hour. Editors are paid twice a month.
Edit911 offers editing and proofreading services, but the requirements for applicants are quite high. To work on this platform, you must have a PhD in English or another writing-intensive discipline.
The company specializes in dissertations, book corrections and theses. This work is not for beginners. You will be working on science projects and must have an interest in science. But you can make up to $50 an hour.
Edit Fast is a discussion forum for editors, proofreaders, and other writing professionals. The site may not seem very sophisticated, but it contains thousands of job listings.
Edit Fast is a site for freelancers, so you will benefit from the professional experience. You can set your own rates, but you will have to take a lot of tests and create a resume to apply.
If you know how to edit efficiently and quickly, this could be a great platform for you. Once you pass the qualification tests, you can start working immediately.
Gramlee is an editing service, but it has a very quick turnaround. If you are working with a platform, you will need to meet a 24-hour deadline.
The company receives hundreds of applications every week. You will only receive a response if they approve of your application.
To apply, you must complete an application form stating your qualifications and experience in the publishing field. The application also contains a number of tricky questions, such as. B. What unfair advantage makes you an excellent candidate?
Think of it as a job interview and try to stand out among the other applicants. If hired, you can expect a salary of $15 an hour or more.
Polished Paper is a good option for more experienced writers. To enroll, you must complete an online survey and answer a questionnaire with 35 questions. This may seem a bit complicated, but the idea is that you will find difficult errors that a less experienced proofreader would probably miss.
Polished Paper strives to provide excellent customer service and rewards its writers accordingly. You can expect to make $20 or more per hour.
Upwork is the largest marketplace for freelancers, making it a great place to find writing jobs. Once you have created your freelance profile, you can submit proposals for projects that interest you.
You must purchase connectors to submit proposals. They’re $0.15 each. Therefore, it is helpful to be selective in the jobs you apply for. In addition, Upwork receives a commission on all completed projects. However, these commissions are paid according to a sliding scale to encourage you to work repeatedly with the same client. Commissions range from 5% to 20%.
To find remote writing jobs, it is recommended to take writing and proofreading tests. After you take the test, your score can be posted on your profile to increase your credibility.
At Upwork you can set your own rates, but on average you can earn between $15 and $20 an hour.
- You can work from anywhere in the world
- Upwork makes sure you get paid for the work you do
- Career opportunities – the more projects you do, the more opportunities you will have.
- You can set your own rates
Scribbr offers proofreading services. To work on this platform, you must be willing to deliver work quickly within a tight deadline. You will work mainly on dissertations, theses and essays and not on articles or blogs.
To enroll, you must complete a three-step application process. This includes completing a questionnaire, quiz and tests. If you pass two tests according to the Scribbr style guide, you must complete up to five fictional missions within three days.
You can make up to $28 an hour. However, since the company is based in Amsterdam, Scribbr pays in euros.
Scribendi offers editing and proofreading services and has been active since 1997. The company claims to have processed nearly two billion words so far.
What makes Scribendi a little different from other platforms is that it combines the job descriptions of proofreader and editor. So while you’re trying to get a job as an editor, you’ll probably also be applying for a job as a proofreader.
To qualify, you must:
- Higher Education
- At least three years of editing or writing experience.
- Native language: English
- Be great at meeting deadlines
- They have an average processing speed of 1,000 words or more per hour.
- Fast internet access
- Possibility to accept payments in US dollars
- A reliable computer with Word 2010 or higher.
You can expect to earn between $15 and $20 an hour.
Managed Editing of Wordfirm Inc. provides proofreading and editing services for publishers, government agencies, and non-profit organizations. You can work on anything from a simple brochure to a multi-part book project.
The application process is quite long, so you should read the details carefully. There is a form for all types of work offered on the platform. Therefore, only fill in the correct sections. You must provide a detailed account of yourself, your work experience and the qualifications required.
You can indicate your preferred rates in the application form. However, you can earn between $25 and $30 an hour.
WordsRU provides editing services for a variety of writing projects, from fiction writers to academics. This means that there are many types of jobs that match your interests and skills.
The company prefers candidates with two years of professional experience and a master’s degree. But even if you’re not qualified, it’s still worth sending in your resume.
Wordvice provides quality services, with most work being done in business, government and academic institutions.
Although the company prefers candidates with experience in both editing and proofreading, it is possible to get a job in editing only.
You can view current job openings on the Wordvice careers page. However, in most cases you will need to provide the expected wage rates.
ProofreadingPal has a model with two profiles. For example, for each project two specialists check the work for the customer.
In order to work with ProofreadingPal, you need :
- Currently employed or enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student with a GPA of at least 3.5 at an accredited university in the U.S.
- At least five years of editing and proofreading experience.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience with common writing styles
As a beginner on this platform, you can expect to earn around $12 to $15 per hour. However, as you gain more experience on the platform, this amount can increase to around $22 per hour.
Editor World hires independent contractors to work remotely as editors. You can offer publishing services without contacting clients or submitting quotes.
The company has many requirements to become a writer. This includes:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience in publishing
- A native speaker of English
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- High speed internet
- PC with Word 2010 or higher.
- Strive for high quality customer service.
If you meet these requirements, you must submit a complete application.
With English Trackers, you can work with a professional writer who fits your schedule. The company allows you to focus on academic processing while it handles customer service and marketing.
- Benefit from flexible working hours
- Payments received on the 15th of each month
- Have an excellent support team
To qualify, you must be a native speaker and have two years of experience in publishing. The company prefers candidates with a PhD. You can apply online as soon as vacancies become available.
Enago offers a publishing service for authors whose native language is not English. There are two levels of editing. Proofreading involves correcting the proofs and checking their readability, whereas editing is essentially about making the content functional for the reader. This way, you can correct non-native expressions and sentence structures.
The company requires a certain level of experience to get started as a writer, but there are also job openings available. You can earn up to $20 an hour.
Salesfolk is a little different. A company needs copywriters to review their email campaigns. So you’re going to look at short emails to make them more compelling and concise with a few tips.
Publishing work on this platform includes:
- Use of Salesfolk’s proprietary software to analyze email campaigns.
- make corrections and give feedback to authors if necessary
- Familiarize yourself with internal protocols and documents
- Collaborate with client management and editors to ensure efficiency and quality of work.
- Take training courses to improve your machining skills.
To join the platform, you must have at least three years of experience as a writer. You must also be able to complete projects quickly and efficiently. You should also be familiar with Google Docs, Slack and remote conferencing software.
Editors check the content created by the authors for grammar, accuracy and overall structure. There are several types of editors, including:
- Book editor: Book editing is one of the most popular jobs remotely. If you love books, this is probably the best publishing job for you. Not only do they give advice on how to improve the text, but they can also influence whether or not the book is published. You can work directly with new authors or collaborate with publishers.
- Journal Editorial: You can also find freelance magazine writing jobs. This is similar to book publishing, but you will likely be working on small batches or articles. The general task of the magazine editor is to make sure that the article fits perfectly with the pictures and the theme of the publication. You should also check that the different elements fit together. You will likely work with magazine publishers and online newspapers.
- Literary publishers: The work of a literary editor encompasses everything related to texts. It starts with how the text looks and ends with how it is understood. You should have excellent grammatical skills, understand the structure of a text and be able to offer constructive criticism of the author. You should also check quotes and sources to make sure they are accurate. As a literary editor, you may work with authors, magazines, or other publications.
- Editorial: Publishers usually only work with authors. You will work with your client on grammar, punctuation, repetition and punctuation. You should also check the content. Your work may include blog posts, flyers or even infomercials.
Most editorial platforms need serious writers. So it’s important to update your resume and hone your writing skills. If you’re not sure, take a few classes on the different editing styles. This should help you pass all the tests when you apply and access job platforms.
Yes. An experienced writer can earn up to $50 an hour or more. Of course, it may take some time to reach this level. So get ready for about $15 an hour to gain experience and improve your resume.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I study to become an editor?
You should study English, journalism, or a related field.
How do I become an editor with no experience?
You can become an editor with no experience by joining our Discord server and applying to become an editor.
How do you get a job as an editor?
The first step is to find a job posting for an editor. You can find these on the job boards of newspapers, magazines, and other publications. You can also search for editor jobs on sites like Indeed.com and Monster.com.