No matter what industry you are in, you can find plenty of sites that will allow you to sell your items. However, many of these sites have very high fees and rules that aren’t always clear. You might end up paying more than you expected to. Also, some of the sites you want to sell on aren’t always well-designed for sellers. I have done it myself. I wrote a blog post last year, and had about a dozen emails from people wanting to get in touch. I was really happy to have an influx of traffic and to have people tell me that my post was helpful, but I didn’t want to just take their money and run. So I decided to share some of my favorite
As a small business owner you need to maximize traffic to your website. If you want to increase traffic without spending money on more advertising, you need to create a list of ways to get traffic to your site. I am going to share 10 of the most effective ways to get traffic to your site.
DollarBreak is reader-supported with the goal to become the ultimate practical resource for making money online. When you sign up or buy through links on this post, we may receive compensation. Disclosure.
No fees for sellers – get paid more compared to eBay
Buyers pay no fees up $50 items. $5+ thereafter
Pay shipping fee directly to carrier
Sell electronics directly to Gazelle and get an offer in a minute
Get paid by Amazon gift card, PayPal or check
Regardless of the item you want to sell, there is free shipping
171+ million active users – no need to worry about traffic
Seller protections in place from buyers scams
Great marketing tools – only pay if you sell your item
Swappa connects sellers with people who want to buy directly. This involves matching sellers with individual buyers of their laptops, cell phones, and other electronic items.
The idea is to cut out the middle man, so both seller and buyer get a better deal. However, this does involve a little more work to sell your item. You will need to verify that you own the item and that phone or mobile devices are not locked by carriers. You will also need to communicate with the buyer.
Once you agree to a sale, you’ll receive your cash via PayPal. You can expect to pay commission on a graduated scale that varies from $0 to $250. This is more than many other platforms, but it does provide additional seller security.
- No fees for sellers – get paid more compared to eBay
- Buyers pay no fees up $50 items. $5+ thereafter
- Pay shipping fee directly to carrier
- Immediate payments via PayPal
If you want to sell some stuff, but don’t like the idea of meeting up with potential buyers or handling lots of messages, Decluttr could provide the solution.
You can receive an instant valuation for your items and then ship them with free postage. The only risk is that the valuation is contingent on the item quality. So, if the Decluttr team determines your items are in a worse condition than you stated, you will receive less.
Decluttr specializes in media and tech, but you can sell some toys and books.
- Tech Price Promise
- Get cash for unwanted items
- Decluttr provides prepaid shipping labels
- Payments processed quickly
Offer Up allows you to sell items locally. Every potential buyer on the site has a profile featuring photos, a transaction history and ratings. This creates a “social media” feel. However, it can also help you to feel more confident about meeting up with your buyer.
You will need to pay a fee for each item sold. This is 12.9% or $1.99, which ever is higher. The app also has rewards for selling to repeat buyers.
- It’s free to list and sell your items
- You can see buyer ratings on the platform so you can easily identify if they are safe to deal with
- The app is easy to use
- There’s an in-app messaging system to ease the communication between buyers and seller
While you may be familiar with eBay, you may not know you can specify “local pickup only”. When you create a listing, you’ll need to select “no shipping, local pickup only” from within the shipping options.
There are several advantages of eBay. The main one is that you can use PayPal to collect the payment before collection.
The downside is the fees:
- Listing Fee: If you list more than 200 items, a $0.35 fee applies.
- Final Value Fees: This is between 2% and 12%, depending on the item category.
- PayPal Fees: If you use this secure payment method, it will cost you 2.9% plus $0.30.
You can create your listings on the website. Alternatively, there is an Android and iPhone app.
- 171+ million active users – no need to worry about traffic
- Seller protections in place from buyers scams
- Great marketing tools – only pay if you sell your item
- Global brand – instant trust from buyers
Craigslist continues to be the biggest name in online local selling. You can list your item for free and connect with potential buyers in your local area. What you may not be aware of is that Craigslist has an approved third party app.
The CPlus app allows sellers to:
- Create new listings
- Save postings
- Edit, renew and repost your ads
- Add notes
- Receive notifications on your device.
Unfortunately, Craigslist does have a reputation for scams. So, you need to tread carefully. For this reason, you may prefer to use a disposable cell phone number for your listings. That way, you won’t get lots of spammy sales calls on your main number.
The main aim of Carousell is to simplify the selling process. All you need to do is take a picture of your item, upload it and add your listing details. This allows you to easily create listings on the go, using your iPhone or Android device.
The Carousell app offers a number of advantages:
- It’s completely free: There are no listing fees or sales commission
- Chat Feature: You can directly chat with any potential buyers
- Special Interest Groups: There are a number of special interest groups and you can post listings in multiple groups.
- Social Media Connection: You can instantly share listings through your social media.
VarageSale takes its name from being a virtual garage sale. The platform has an app for both iPhone and Android devices.
What makes VarageSale unique is that all users are manually verified with real ID checks. This applies to both buyers and sellers.
Since VarageSale verifies all users, there is an additional layer of security. This provides greater reassurance compared to using platforms such as Craigslist. You can also view the member’s rating and average buyer response times. This can help you to choose a buyer if you have multiple offers.
Another advantage of VarageSale is that it is free to sell. You can also bump your listing to the top of the results with no charge.
Facebook is more than just a social platform to connect with old school friends. You can also use the marketplace to sell and buy used items. The chances are that many people in your local area already have a Facebook account. So, you can access a massive marketplace.
To list your items, you’ll need to enter your location. You can then add a description, price and photo. Your contacts will automatically receive an alert about your items. Other potential buyers can search by general area or zip code.
It’s completely free to sell your items via Facebook Marketplace.
Nextdoor is an innovative platform that allows you to create neighborhood hubs. These can contain as many as 3,000 households. However, the optimum size is 750 to 1,000 households.
Each hub will contain postings for sharing local information, buying and selling and other community notices. You can also share your listings with more people using the “Nearby Neighborhoods” feature.
This is one of the best websites to sell stuff locally. Nextdoor verifies the name and address of each member. There is a free forum to sell your stuff. However, like many of the local selling sites you will need to take responsibility for arranging the transaction and managing the payment.
5Miles is one of the best websites to sell stuff locally. It was set up to help both parties avoid fraud, spamming or costly fees.
The 5Miles team verifies all platform users with an ID check. So, you don’t need to worry about meeting up with an unknown buyer, as you would with some other platforms.
The platform has a social feel. It allows you to “like” listings or follow other sellers. Additionally, the support team actively reviews all postings. Despite this service, 5Miles is free for both sellers and buyers.
Although technically, 5Miles is a global site, it is only useful in large cities.
- Choose the Right Platform: As I will discuss below, there are lots of different buy and sell websites. Some are general sites, while others are more specialized. So, to get the best prices, you need to choose the right platform for your items.
- Clean and Tidy: Most potential buyers will view or dismiss an item based on the photos. So, it is important that your item is clean and tidy, so it looks its best.
- Take Good Photos: This leads on from the last point, but you need to ensure that you take good photos. Avoid busy backgrounds that can distract the eye. Try to use natural light. Finally, take multiple photos. Most websites to sell stuff locally allow posting several photos per listing. So, take photos from each angle.
- Be Honest About Any Damage: If your item is not in perfect condition, you need to be honest about any faults. If possible, take a picture of the damage, so you can be upfront about issues.
- Set a Realistic Price: While you may have an emotional attachment to particular items, this will not be the case for a stranger. So, you need to be realistic with your pricing. If you’re unsure about what price to use, look at similar items and how much they are selling for.
- Be Prepared to Negotiate: Many buyers will want to haggle over the price. So, be prepared to negotiate with potential buyers. It is a good idea to have the lowest possible price in mind when you set your listing.
- Stay Safe: Since you’re selling locally, you are likely to need to meet up with your buyer to complete the transaction. So, be sure to stay safe. Meet up in a public place. Only accept cash and check the bills with a money marker.
One of the downsides of using websites to sell stuff locally is the risk of getting scammed. Fortunately, there are some ways to minimize your risk and protect yourself. These include:
Choose a Trusted Website: All of the websites I have listed above are trusted and reputable platforms. There are others, but it is important to check that you can trust the site before listing your items.
Try to Meet in Person: It is best to complete the transaction in person and deal in cash. If you’re wary about meeting in person, take a friend and meet the buyer in a public venue.
Examine the User Profile: While it can be exciting to find a buyer, it is important to check the user profile before you agree to a sale. Some platforms, such as 5miles or VarageSale verify user IDs, which increases security. If the platform does not verify member’s IDs, check the user profile for any red flags.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best sites to sell stuff?
There are a lot of sites that allow you to sell your stuff. One of the most popular places is eBay.
Where can I sell my stuff online for free?
You can sell your stuff online for free at https://www.freecycle.org What is the best way to recycle? The best way to recycle is to recycle your old electronics, batteries, and light bulbs at a local electronics recycling center.
How do I sell something locally?
You can sell something locally by posting on Craigslist or other local classified sites, or by putting up a sign in your window.